As of 26 March 2020 all eviction claims have been stayed in the court system. Landlords are unable to evict tenants.
This is to ensure that all tenants can stay living in their homes. It is very important that you do this as we all need to
- stay where we are,
- avoid contact with others, and
- observe social distancing
to slow the rate of infection and to help the National Health Service.
Please see the government press release confirming this.
Note that although your landlord is still entitled to be paid rent, landlords are expected to help tenants by putting in place a rent payment scheme if their tenants are in financial difficulty.
But the message as at 27 March 2020 is that you should stay in your home and ignore all requests by your landlord for you to move out. Even if
- Your fixed term has ended
- You have been served an eviction notice,
- You are not able to pay the rent just now, and/or if
- Your landlord tells you they want the property back
You are legally entitled to refuse access to your landlord.
Stay safe and wash your hands particularly if you have been outside your home.